Monday, June 18, 2012

Beef Stroganoff Made Easy

Beef Stroganoff may not be on the top of your family meal list, but I think it makes a great meal that should in turn be made at least every other week.  Most families that I have noticed will make the boxed dinner version, but if you were to ask them how to make it, they wouldn't know quite what goes in it.  I going to give you a very simple recipe that can be made in less than 45 minutes and tastes amazing.  Are you ready?

Ingredients:
  • Ribeye Steak (preferred, but other beef can be substituted)
  • 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
  • approx. 1/2 box of Beef Broth
  • All Purpose Flour
  • Olive Oil
  • Butter
  • approx. 1 cup of Sour Cream
  • Minced Onion flakes, or fresh onion to taste
  • Fresh Mushrooms (diced) to taste (can substitute canned mushrooms, but drain first)
  • Salt + Pepper to taste
  • 1 Bad of Egg Noodles

Directions:

  • Cut your Ribeye into small strips or chunks.
  • Thinly coat a sauce pan with the olive oil and about 2-3 tablespoons of butter. Your stove should go on MED - MED-HI.
  • Brown the meat in the sauce pan.
  • Add your onions and mushrooms to the pan and allow them to cook for about 10 minutes.  Both of these items are to taste.  I used about 2 tablespoons of minced onion flakes and about 1 cup of fresh mushrooms, diced.
  • Now add about 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour.  This should cause the oil and the butter to thicken up. Continue Stirring.
  • Add in the cream of mushroom soup.  Continue stirring  The contents of the pan should be thoroughly mixed together, but the stirring is to help keep the mixture from sticking to the pan.
  • Add in the beef broth.  This should thin the mixture out.  If you want it a little thinner add more broth.
  • Once it has a texture you are happy with, turn it down to warm/low, and cook your bag of egg noodles.
  • Right before you add your beef mixture to the strained noodles, add the sour cream to the beef mixture.  The amount of sour cream can also be adjusted according to preference.  I find that it adds a sharp creaminess to the meal.
  • After the sour cream, mix the beef mixture and the noodles together. Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
I have tried this a few times.  I have tried different meats.  Ground beef works very well, but I still prefer the small pieces of ribeye.  The ribeye tends to add more flavor from its drippings in the mix, and also has a tenderness to the meat.  I have also substituted the beef broth for the small packs of Knorr Beef Stock (here's a link if you don't know what I'm referring to: Knorr Beef Stock)  If you use these, you will have to play around with your liquids. I ended up using about 1 1/2 cups of water, but I also think the taste is worth the hassle.  I would have used it in the recipe above, but I decided to make the one above as simple as possible while still tasting great and just added my 2 cents after the fact.  Also if you find that you're not getting enough onion flavor while your cooking, but you don't want to add more onion flakes or cut more onions.  I used the amount of minced onion flakes stated in the recipe, but later added onion powder.  I like strong full flavors in my food, while others don't, which is fine.  For other that do, that's why I'm adding this at the end.  

If you have any other twists on this recipe that you would like to share, or maybe another way of doing it altogether.  Please, share it with everyone else by adding a comment below.  I'm always on the lookout for new ideas and techniques.

As always remember to do something nice for someone other than yourself.  Pay It Forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please play nice, young folks may read this. If you have criticism, please make it constructive. Thanks!